Monday, February 2, 2009

Baking Mondays - Red Velvet Cake

I've always been curious about red velvet cake - it is something that we don't really have here in Australia, so every time I have seen it blogged about I have thought to myself that I really want to give it a try. So this week I did just that. I used the recipe from Cookie Madness and unfortunately I don't know if I did something wrong but they didn't turn out very well at all. The cake itself is not really sweet and there was way too much icing/frosting for the 16 cupcakes that the mixture made.

So my first attempt at red velvet cake can be deemed as a failure :( but perhaps I shouldn't give up just yet. Maybe I should try some more recipes - or perhaps I got some of my measurements wrong? I was very hot, flustered and rushed when I baked these.

Is red velvet cake usually sweet or did I make a boo-boo?

3 comments:

drollgirl said...

well it looks dead on!!! red velvet cake isn't that sweet. i think it is more about the color and the frosting. i love it, but i know it isn't for everyone!

Erin said...

Hello...Just found your blog via Bakerella...I also have been fascinated with red velvet cake for years, although not because it wasn't available, I had just never had it. So I bought a mix, to make Bakerella's cake balls. I was not impressed either. The flavor was lacking and the red made a mess. I am going to give it one more try, but otherwise I'm happy with just plain old yellow cake :)

Anonymous said...

Glad I'm not the only one Erin - hope you have better luck next time :D